A 2008 study by the University of Montana showed that physical activity drops between elementary and high school with the largest change during 6th grade. By high school, most youth are not meeting recommendations for physical activity. Lack of physical activity can lead to health complications including obesity and Type II Diabetes.
ACTIVE 6 is designed to help 6th graders learn to live healthily and stay physically active on their journey through life. To learn more, contact Eli Catton, Director of Youth Development, at 721-6261 or email@example.com.
What do we do?
We start the Active 6 day with “Snacktivity”—a healthy snack and brief lesson. These lessons fit within the Y’s areas of focus: Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility. Lessons range from goal setting to nutrition, public transportation to emotional intelligence. Along with snacktivity, we strive to introduce participants to a new group building initiative each week. Last, we finish by getting our heart rates up. In Active 6 we introduce participants to new games and sports they can continue to play through to adulthood.
Active 6 is more than just a way to get you active and living a healthier lifestyle. It’s about helping you make healthy choices for the rest of your life. And we want you to have fun doing it too! Here is what you get when you join Active 6:
- Free Y Membership!
- Free Dri-fit Active 6 T Shirt!
- Free entry to Lady Griz and Griz Basketball home games!
- Free structured health and wellness programming!
- Healthy snacks!
- A great time with your friends, moving and getting active!
- Monday C.S. Porter Middle School – 3:30–5:00 p.m. (2/12–4/30)
- Tuesday Meadow Hill Middle School – 3:30–5:00 p.m. (2/13–5/1)
- Wednesday Washington Middle School – 3:30–5:00 p.m. (2/14–5/2)
- Thursday Missoula Family Y – 3:00–5:00 p.m. (2/15–5/3)